Thread: Need Advice
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
P3bble5Girl

Need Advice

My husband and I invited my alcoholic brother to stay with us until the new year because he says he wants to stop drinking in the manner that he was and I knew that there wasn't a chance of success in his current environment.
Back ground - He is a 30 year old male, no insurance, unemployed, no children or relationship. He was drinking between 30-40 beers a day.
His goal "Is to get up, go to work, and then maybe drink a six pack in the evening". I realize that this is impossible, but right now its the goal that I want him to shoot for. I'm slowly trying to taper him down on his drinking so he doesn't go into severe DTs. Currently, he is drinking 12 a day and I slowly want to get him to a point where we are at 6 or less per day. He will have to make the decision that he will have to quit totally but he's not ready to deal with that yet.
He won't do AA meetings because he suffers from social anxiety and has a hard time dealing with people he doesn't know, so we're trying to do this in house.
He says that he wants to change and that he knows that he can't continue to live like he was, but I'm not sure how to help him learn to resist reaching for another beer. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks