Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Aysha
Looking For Myself...Sober

"Open Mind" Women's Daily Inspiration for Becoming Mindful

I hope you all dont mind. I have just received a book from a book swapping site. I was very anxious to get it.
The name of the book is the title of this thread. And I would like to share it with you.
I wasnt sure where to put this thread. I know technically it belongs in Onspirations or Womens forum. But I want as many people to be able to read this as possible. Not just women but men too. And I know more people in this forum.
My other dialy inspiration thread has now hit part 2. I never thought I would have stayed commited to it that long and that it would have lasted as long as it has. I still plan on posting there as usual. But this is like another level, a step up from that thread. I hope you all like this and will share any thoughts or inspirations of your own.
Mods..I hope thats ok.

I have struggled for a long time now in my recovery with the whole HP thing. I guess because I wasnt grasping that my HP could be somehting other than "God". although I was brought up believing there is a God and Jesus and Devil. We never religiously practiced. It was just set in my mind that they were what created us and that they rule the universe.
As I have been on this recovery journey for over 2 years now. Not with any real serious clean time mind you. I began to shun religion, God and any form of spirituality because I was angry. I was angry because I had the mindset of "Why me?" Why if God is so good does the world have so much pain and suffering?
But I have found myself bitter by doing that. Bitter at the ones who have found God and a sprirtual way of life. Envious because I chose to shut that out and now I was lost.
Although my views on "God" have drasticly changed. I have found a different spiritual path that has interested me. One that is more along the lines of how I feel. How I see things. How I believe the universe to work.
I can never and will never turn my own free will over to anything.
So I have chosen to follow a spiritual way that reflects that. One that teaches mindfulness.
So that is where I am on the spiritual level. I dont knock anyones religious beliefs or practices. I embrace whatever works for you.

So now I have this book.
And it is a daily inspiration for women on being mindful and sprirtual. And it touches on all different types of religion and spirituality.
I have read the introduction and already feel so excited about reading this book.

I want to share with you all the reading of the day from the book.
I am commited to posting it here everyday that I can.

Here is a part of the introduction that stood out to me.

Open Mind is offered as an inspiration and companion to living a spiritual life. What is the spiritual life? It is an expression of basic kindness toward ourselves and toward all of life. A person who is truly spiritual lives in a way that is kind to herself and to all living things. This person lives from her deepest truth, and does not live by memorized dogma, nor does she bring harm to those who disagree with her beliefs.
It is this intuition that calls us to the spiritual life, to seek the wholeness that is not possible when we limit ourselves to the physical, psychological, and psychic realms. We all have the capacity to be both kind and cruel. Spiritual training,becoming mindful , gives us the tools to deepen our kindness and diminish our cruelty.