Old 06-30-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
rmm

Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Perhaps.

**Is he an alky? It is as simple as this; can he control the amount once he starts to drink? Can he stay stopped or away from the first drink for very long on his own power? If he can do neither of those... things look pretty grim.

I hope things turn out well for you and soon.

I asked him this question (whether he can stop after one drink) and he said he can't. Guess that answers the question for me, doesn't it : ( . He says that (and I have always noticed this but chalked it up to a "guy thing") that he drinks the first few beers (or drinks) really fast and then he just feels a physical need to keep going. He's recently (maybe the past 6 months or so) been talking about feeling depressed and anxious all the time. He thinks that the drinking is to medicate himself b/c of the depression and anxiety. I think that the depression and anxiety could be caused by the drinking. Either way, he has several issues to deal with. He did make an appt with his primary care doctor (at the recommednation of his therapist) to see about taking anti depressants. However, it seems to me that taking meds and still drinking probably isn't the best idea. He hasn't had anything to drink in 4 days (so he says) and I'm just kind of on edge perpetually waiting for him to melt down b/c of the lack of drinking..

We have this routine (used to be nice and now it's something I dread) where he makes pizza on Fri nights. It used to be a time we'd spend in the kitchen together, talk, have a glass or two of wine and then he started about 8-9 months ago, getting nasty and snippy and I found it easier to do something alone in the living room while he made pizza. Turns out (I feel stupid for not knowing this sooner) he was getting bombed in the kitchen alone and by the time we were ready to sit and have dinner together (and I was eager for conversation and a relaxing fri night) he was drunk and just wanted me to leave him alone. Literally, every fri night for the past 8-9 months we've had a fight because of this. The fight ends with my threatening to leave b/c I can't take it anymore, him telling me I'm imagining things and that he's just worn out from the week and only had 1-2 beers and I go to bed in tears.