Old 06-29-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
four812

I point to a few examples of when I put myself in situations that could have easily turned out to be much more disastrous than what they did, and that I just don't want to take anymore chances. The common response is "well, just don't drink so much and you'll be fine." They're right, but what they don't understand is that the best way for me to not drink "so much" is to not drink at all. I don't know if I can make them understand that. I suspect that certain people now think of me as being weak because I cannot do something as simple as control my drinking. What do I say to these people, if anything??
hi ortho and thanks for posting this.

sometimes i don't even say why I don't drink. I just leave it at that. when I'm confident of myself i am more able to just make the simple statement, and then not drink, and then be comfortable with my resove to not drink and with my knowing that that is right for me.

drinking is certainly nothing that is inherently wrong. there are some in AA who try to make drinking the enemy. I came to think that way when i first got sober in AA. but drinking is not the enemy. in fact I have come to find that i have to let go of "the enemy". I have to stay focused on the fact (for me), that people and things are all connected...that we are all one.

in my case i've had enough drinks for a few lifetimes and it's best that i dont' have any more for a bunch of reasons....and i like your reason that it's a lot easier to drink responsibly if I don't have any at all

thanks