View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 11:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
exquisitered

Anti-depressants and Sobriety?

Hello. This is my first post, i think, tho i have been lurking for a while. I'm an alcoholic, recovering in AA. And i have just over 6 months sober! Which is amazing! I never thought i could make it. But I'm still having a major problem with depression. My counselor thinks I am severely depressed and wants me to have a mental evaluation done. If they want me to go on anti-depression medication... I'm not sure how i feel about it. I mean, I do need help NOW. The longer I feel like this the harder it gets to not drink and I'm afraid it could actually be dangerous for my sobriety to not try them (i've really been struggling the last couple of weeks), but i've also heard a lot of the oldtimers at my AA group that thinks it's a bad idea to take anything (even antidepressants) so i am not sure what to do. Does anyone here have any experience with taking them during sobriety? Did they help you? I'm really getting desperate cause i really am working the steps and doing a good program (i think) and praying to my HP regularly, but i feel so empty and dead inside, and having a very hard time functioning. I don't sleep well, or enjoy anything anymore. I can't think straight,or remember ANYTHING. I mean, goals my counselor and i went over and i signed (sober) and i don't even remember seeing it, much less signing it! I'm wondering if this is normal for 6 months abstinent. Has anyone else felt this and can tell me it will pass on it's own? My husband thinks i should take them. But I want some opinions from others who have tried it, before i start putting more chemicals into my body. So thank you in advance for any suggestions or helpful advice.