Old 06-27-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
tyler
Not all better, getting better

Had kinda a rollercoaster day yesterday. I started the morning with a phone call from a employment recruiter about a job I had interviewed for the day before. She was very excited (I've been working with her for about 2 months trying to get an interview) and said the ladies I interviewed were very excited about me and called her at 7:30 that morning to make sure they moved me along in the process.

This is a company I have wanted to work for for a long time. I am a sales rep, and the interview was for a sales rep position. I had previously interviewed for a "greeter" position, just to get my foot in the door, but was told that they really felt I would be a better fit in sales, to which I agreed.

So I go to fill out the online application they sent me and I notice at the top it says it is for a greeter position. I call my recruiter and ask about it and she says that they had already offered the sales position to someone else, but were offering me the greeter position. Needless to say I was disappointed. I asked what the pay was and she said $10/hr. When I applied for the position previously I was under the inpression that there were some commission opportunities available as well, so I figured I could at least get by until something else opened up. Turns out, no commission opportunities, and the position they are offering me is part time, not full time, and I would not be able to apply for a different postion for at least 6 months.

I am 40 years old, and though I am currently staying with my parrents, so I have no room and board to worry about, I do have other responsibilities like car payment, child suppport, insurance, etc. This job wouldn't have even covered my child support and gas money (25 mile comute each way)! The recruiter thought all this had been discussed at the interview, but the only thing mentioned about that postion was that I had at one time applied for it, but was told I would be better in sales. They asked why I applied for it, and I said because I really wanted to work for the company and was willing to work my way in. I was unaware of the salary structure at the time.

Needless to say I was very bummed out. I went from feeling great about, what I thought was an excellent interview that had panned out, to pretty much feeling like I got screwed. They obviously had already made a decision, probably even before I interviewed, on who they were going to hire. My interview was at 4PM and they called the recruiter at 7:30am. When I interviewed for the greeter position, they told me they wanted me in sales, but when I finally got a sales interview, they offer me a greeter position!!

I spent pretty much the whole day being "out of sorts". Didn't drink, though the thought crossed my mind, but I didn't see where that would really make things any better.

The day ended on a positive note, however, thanks to SR. I was reading in the Newcomers section a threat 1 day@a time posted about a book he recomended for people who weren't into AA. He is someone who has been on the boards for a long time. Pretty hard core AA guy, but a totally good person with his heart in the right place. He joined the site a little after I did, so I have read and followed his posts for years. So I responded to his post that I would definately add it to my list of recovery books I want to buy, but due to my current lack of employment, I'd probably need to wait until I got a job and money's real tight right now.

Late last night I clicked back on the thread and there was a response from him saying to PM him my address and he's send me a copy. It literally brought tears to my eyes. For someone, a total stranger really (though we have corosponded on threads before, though not always seeing eye to eye) to do that for me, just touched my heart!! So I sent him my address and he said he'd put it in the mail today.

Just thought I'd share that story. It was a nice ending to a somewhat crappy day!! Thanks for listening all. Take care.