View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 08:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
McGowdog

Hey SS. Glad you're getting some good results and glad that you've recognized that you've put something into it and received some good stuff from it.

I'm having this grace vs works discussion right now in another thread. On the one hand, some people really identify with this "grace... unearned gift" aspect of recovery, and I and the one who showed me his lineage pointed out to me the greatest statement of hope in the whole Big Book, "So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making."

So what does that tell me? If my troubles are of MY own making, I don't have to stay under yours or anybody elses thumb to get this deal!

I am free! Go out there and drink it up! (Recovery, that is! ) Tell that crusty old fart, "Who died and made you boss?" That or find a better meeting.

Realize that some people are just "entitled" to their pain and suffering. Some people don't want to be awakened from their sleep. Let em' sleep. It's uncomfortable for them to wake up. But realize it's also about what you can bring to the place. NA is a great place because you're in it. You're staying clean and sober no matter what those lumps do.

I think, personally, that's an attitude you can take. Hold onto what you've got... till you find someone who willingly accepts what you offer.