Old 06-25-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sweets79
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by waterfountain View Post
One of the major reasons I quit drinking 16 (already started day 17 - sweet! )days ago was because I went to the ER after vomiting blood. They did an endoscopy and discovered I had a tear in my esophagus, and both my liver and pancreas were inflamed. One doctor even mentioned that I showed signs of what could be (but he didn't say for certain) acute pancreatitis.
Since being released from the hospital, I have not consumed any alcohol or caffeine, I've been eating a fairly nutritious and balanced diet, and have been taking milk thistle daily. I'm still concerned about my 25 year-old pancreas though. I'm scared of what my past alcohol abuse has done to that organ and I fear not recovering from it. I don't show any signs of chronic pancreatitis, which is good, but I don't think that organ can regenerate itself as wholly as the liver can. I'm going to stay far away from alcohol for a long time, continue taking the supplements and eating well, and hope for the best. Heh, at least my resting pulse rate has gone down a bit - that's always good.

I'm sorry for the disorganized post, but I'm genuinely curious is anyone else has suffered physically from their drinking - and recovered... and if so, how much, and what kind of a battle was it? I don't really have anyone to talk about this with in person, and I'm sure I'm not really articulating myself as best I could with text here... So, if anyone cares to answer this post, feel free to be equally disorganized; I still appreciate whatever you write
Hi,

Congrats on your sober time.

I noticed a few years before I started drinking, I was having some upper G.I. discomfort, but I never went to the D.R. for it. I'm sure drinking heavily made whatever digestive problem I have worse. Alcohol is such a huge irritant.

I'm going for an Upper G.I. series soon to try and see what's going on. Last year after going on a binge for about 5 days, I had a really weird feeling in my upper stomach, and felt chest pains. It felt like tightness and extreme fullness. I went to the ER. They did blood work, Chest X-rays, a Cardiogram, and a CT Scan. I was relieved when they told me they didn't see anything, but at the same time was hoping they would know what was wrong and give me something for relief. They did mention they thought it was alcohol induced gastritis. I still get that feeling, but I know it was really bad after that one week binge.

I see you said you went for an endoscopy. I am petrified of that test, lol. Everyone says it's no big deal though. I am trying to eat a better diet now. Drinking definitely can cause stomach problems and make any existing problems worse. So it's much better you stopped. I'm glad I did. Atleast I feel like I'm not doing any more damage to my tummy