Old 06-25-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
waterfountain

Has anyone else's (past?) drinking caused health problems/concerns?

One of the major reasons I quit drinking 16 (already started day 17 - sweet! )days ago was because I went to the ER after vomiting blood. They did an endoscopy and discovered I had a tear in my esophagus, and both my liver and pancreas were inflamed. One doctor even mentioned that I showed signs of what could be (but he didn't say for certain) acute pancreatitis.
Since being released from the hospital, I have not consumed any alcohol or caffeine, I've been eating a fairly nutritious and balanced diet, and have been taking milk thistle daily. I'm still concerned about my 25 year-old pancreas though. I'm scared of what my past alcohol abuse has done to that organ and I fear not recovering from it. I don't show any signs of chronic pancreatitis, which is good, but I don't think that organ can regenerate itself as wholly as the liver can. I'm going to stay far away from alcohol for a long time, continue taking the supplements and eating well, and hope for the best. Heh, at least my resting pulse rate has gone down a bit - that's always good.

I'm sorry for the disorganized post, but I'm genuinely curious is anyone else has suffered physically from their drinking - and recovered... and if so, how much, and what kind of a battle was it? I don't really have anyone to talk about this with in person, and I'm sure I'm not really articulating myself as best I could with text here... So, if anyone cares to answer this post, feel free to be equally disorganized; I still appreciate whatever you write