View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TrainWreckAgain

Just one person's thoughts.

You said that she sent the money "to help with your daughter." If taking the money would help you with your child and you could use the money, then take it. She did not specifiy that you could only take the money on the condition that you got back together with your ex.

She may or may not try to guilt trip you down the road.... but that is really irrelevant. She will try to guilt trip you if you take the money or not, if she wants to try to guilt trip you. So take the money and use it for your daughter. Write her a thank you and tell her what you bought. You might just be surprised.

I am not a lawyer, but if the money came from her, with no mention that it was child support being paid on behalf of her son, it should not matter to the court one bit. My kids Grandparents send money to me to get things for their grandkids. It has nothing to do with child support.

In many states, it is possible to have the person making the support payment make the payment to a special account controlled by the state. The state then pays you. That way, there never can be any doubt as to (1) that the money was paid or not paid, and (2) when it was paid. If the court order specifies that approach, then any money paid outside of that is not child support.

Last edited by Ann; 06-26-2009 at 01:35 AM. Reason: removed child's name