Old 06-25-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
kj3880

Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
Yes, I have a few numbers, but wouldn't want to burden anyone unless it was an emergency. Made some friends. Folks seemed to be in kinduva hurry to get out. Wife doesn't want me going to meetings, though...........Thanks!....
What you don't yet know (you will find it out when people are calling you for help in a few months or years) is that you are helping us as much as we are helping you when you call us as a newcomer. Giving it away is what enables us to keep our recovery! It is actually quite an honor when a newcomer sees something in me that makes them trust me enough to call me. It isn't a burden, quite the contrary!

It's really important not to wait for a crisis to call people. Pick up the phone while you are feeling good, so that you will be able to pick up the phone when you are feeling bad. Call for any reason. I had a young woman who called me just to see what meeting I was going to that night, so she could meet up with me there. She and I are good friends now. Use that--"just callin' to see if you are going to a meeting tonight and which one?" or "Can you tell me about how to find a sponsor?" or "what are some good events or meetings to go to around here?" All of these are good openers to call with if you have trouble, as I did, with talking to people. Give it a try!

An idea for your wife: Take her to the next convention in your area and spring for a nice hotel room and dinner out while you are there. It's a great way to introduce her to some good folks in recovery and their spouses. It'll make her feel special to be included in this way, too. And you will have fun together.

Love,
KJ