View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
hadenoughnow

My ex pullled the same crap, refused to cooperate with removng his name from bank accounts, insurance etc. This is not legal advice at all but this is what I did:

Right before I filed he threatened to take the car in both our names and trade it in. His big plan was to have all the cars in his name then I could not leave him supposedly, um yeah right (the problem with his plan was that the payments would also be in his name, duh, I could just go out and buy my own car then he would have two cars and payments!)
I had a feeling that he was planning to do this on his next day off so I found a car for myself from work on the GM site, called the dealership, leased a new car and took the other one in on the way home. Problem one solved (yes he freaked out haha).

Called the bank and found out that I could not remove his or my name without both our signatures but I could close the account and empty it (yeah that makes lots of sense ) so I cancelled the overdraft protection, told the STBX that he had ONE WEEK to go sign the papers at the bank to let me remove my name (since he refused to stop using the account) or I would close the account and hold the check with both our names on it hostage(yes it was legal since we were still married and my name was on the account).

That got his attention and he complied (finally after months of begging). Problem 2 solved.

Then I called the wonderful ins company who kept refusing to take his name off the car policy despite the fact that he no longer lived in my home (they kept callling asking for his permission and he kept lying and saying that we were not getting divorced). I told them that our divorce was final and if they did not remove him from all my policies TODAY I would cancel them and find another ins company. That got their attention, problem 3 solved.

I also had a reimbursement check issue, after asking him a few times, I just said to hell with it and forged his name and cashed the check (we were still legally married). He never even asked about it again.