Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EnoughisEnough7

From my personal experience, I would never go to another marriage counselor unless they had significant training in alcoholism. My AH went to several marriage counselors of his own choosing - thinking our problems had to do with other things such a me not being "nice" enough ... a classic case of denial and blaming from an alcoholic - something a trained addiction counselor would have seen right through. These counselors pressured me into participating - a big mistake. Both times my AH insisted he wasn't drinking, but I strongly suspected he was lying and secretly drinking that later proved to be true.

The sessions I reluctantly attended proved to be a complete waste of precious time and money ...and ended up probably doing more harm than good since these counselors were viewed as "experts" - so when they give bad advice it could be incorrectly viewed as accurate. The guidance they were giving us was totally off base and neither one could see through the lies and manipulation an experienced addiction counselor would have. One counselor was so clueless that she half believed my AH when he told her that I was imagining and overreacting to his "social" drinking because my father had been an alcoholic. She also told us that AA could train alcoholics to drink just 2 drinks...a complete falsehood. Her counseling proved to be dangerous and just validated what my AH wanted to hear. However, within weeks my AH fell apart, admitted he was drinking and had a problem, his secret stash of alcohol at home was found that he had kept for years ... plus bottles of vodka he had hidden at his office. Gee - my "imagination" must have put those bottles there. I also checked with several AA offices and found they had nothing except a total abstinence program and were quite angry with the poor counseling we had received. This counselor was defensive when she was finally proved wrong at all levels. Unfortunately - the damage was done and to this day I still resent her ill informed and dangerous advise.

I have heard before that a good relationship counselor will not take on a case where there is an active addiction. The theory being that the addicted person is not really present - the addiction is - and relationship counseling should only take place once a the addict has been sober and in recovery for at least 6 months. Individual counseling for addiction is a better option. It is very possible that after 6 months of healthy sobriety, the need for marriage counseling may no longer be needed.