View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Congrats on the 'paperwork' ..... just a wee FYI.........

"...Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking that a person in recovery would not go around saying they were never taking a drink again..." and "...The RA is to take it one day at a time, but the goal is to never drink again..."

The 'founders,' including the first 100 (or however many there actually were), when they wrote the BB, stated...........:

"...But if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and all, and sincerely feel that you must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you..." (page 181 of BB)

To me, that 'for good and all' means 'forever' 'I will "never' drink again," and this is what I said when I started out on this recovery journey (some 8398 days ago; in three days, I'm working on day 8401--that will be 23 years--and most sobriety calculators count in days, hours, minutes, and even heartbeats--check out the one here on this site), and if anyone asks me today, I say the same thing; obviously, I can only live in today, but if asked, I quit for good and all....forever....never to drink again, and most of my recovered friends say the same thing.

Regarding the 'one day at a time' and the 24hr plan, these terms came about in the book, Living Sober, printed in 1975. For me, one day at a time or just for today (originally an NA phrase) or 24hrs; these are just too limiting for me. I heard a man tell a person who kept on relapsing (the fellow said he just couldn't seem to get more than 3-4 months sober, and then he'd relapse), well, this man asked the fellow if maybe he was only giving himself permission for those 3 or 4 months...........? eh.....? .....something to think about, anyway.

NoelleR