View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 02:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DaveBB164

Originally Posted by spiker View Post
I am saddened as I have no choice but to end a friendship. He is an enabler who drinks heavily. Maybe this is a selfish decision on my part. But everything in his life is drinking related. He is a great guy but really the lifestyle is depressing. When I insist that I do not want to go with him to the "all you can drink" beer night, I get called a ***** and other good natured poking.
I find as my sobriety progresses, our friendship is ending. I asked him to go to the movies instead and he said "not unless there is a bar there".

I can no longer drink as it is affecting my health. I am 37 and enough is enough.

Goodbye friend
When I got into AA all but one of my friends disappeared, the one who remained encouraged me and was over joyed to see me eventually get well,

the rest well they were just drinking buddies I did not know that much about them other than their favorite brand of beer, they were not bothered that I was falling apart inside, they never asked me anything about my life outside the bar, they were just there at that phase of my life,

since I recovered in AA I have a lot of friends inside and outside of AA who genuinely care about me and who I genuinely care about the connection and bond we have is far deeper than any of those guys in the bar could imagine.