View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I have found though, and please forgive my honesty, that reading the BB is one sure way of drifting off to sleep.
Remember that when you get into the 'insomnia' stage. I used to hate it when folks would say to me "no one dies from lack of sleep" and I was exhausted. Then quietly, one day, my sponsor said to me "laurie I know you are having trouble sleeping. This will pass. I also know that you are still having some problems with retaining what you read, however, I would like to suggest that you try reading the Big Book when you are having a bad night." By the time she said this to me, I was open to anything, lol

And, YES, the Big Book, for over a month became my 'sleeping pill.' It never failed to put me to sleep. What I didn't realize is that by reading it every night, and falling asleep didn't matter in the least, I was setting up a pattern for my own recovery that has continued to this day. Every night I read a bit of the BB, and no it doesn't put me to sleep any more, but it does give me closure to the day.

So, it's alright that the BB puts you to sleep, lol as the day will come when it no longer does.

J M H O

Love and hugs,