View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
How do you surrender when you've been taught to fight all your life? How do you feel when you've shut off your feelings for years, and you don't know any real feelings except anger and disgust?
You don't, firestorm. You don't worry about any of this stuff. You just put one foot in front of the other. Pooh Bear had the problem of always forgetting which one was the right foot. Have you found the right foot? Do you have a sponsor who can sit down with you and the Big Book and go through the Dr.'s Opinion, Bill's Story, and More About Alcoholism? That's all you have to do at the moment. Trust me. I've been through this with a number of guys. It's all you have to do. Immerse yourself completely in this program.

I've noticed a drop in responses to the people like myself who struggle to grasp all that is suggested up front,
Boy, I hope that isn't true. Soomething is seriously wrong if all we can offer is good luck. I'll do all I can to help and so will a lot of others. You, my friend, are not beyond hope. Any hoplessness you are feeling can work to your advantage right now. You're a fighter, right? So start fighting real damn hard.

I watched a guy this year struggle for months. He'd get a few weeks, relapse, come to a meeting drunk, get another couple weeks, disappear. He was always welcome. He kept at it and it's finally working after 6 months or so. He had to do things that he had never done. He'd heard about doing them, but hadn't actually done them.

I'm on the first step, don't really know what it means to work on it.
Ask. Asking puts you in a position of surrender. A certain required mindset.