View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ggk

Smile Some more spiritual principles....

Thanks for the topic. I would like to add the following (I cut and pasted this and did not come up with it on my own, I was working on my character defect of anger): a principle is a basic action guideline:
Searching the Big Book on the word "Principle". What are the principles of the A.A. program of recovery? Five of the 36 uses of the word principle are clearly statements of principles:
22) The first principle of success is that you should never be angry. [Big Book, page 111, line 1] (Although we alcoholics are not saints, it seem the authors of the Big Book thought that our spouses should be. It is obvious that this principle is avoid anger.)
28) Another principle we observe carefully is that we do not relate intimate experiences of another person unless we are sure he would approve. [Big Book, page 125, line 18] (This principle is that we respect the privacy of others, especially fellow members of AA.)
29) Giving, rather than getting, will become the guiding principle. [Big Book, page 128, line 2] (We practice service of others rather than self-service.)
35) & 36) "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation." —HERBERT SPENCER [Big Book, Appendix II, page 570, lines 16 & 19] (The principle for us is open mindedness.) I hope someone gets something out of this!!