Thread: New Poster Here
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dime

Hi Welcome to SR!!

Congrats on the six months sobriety! I had tried the controlled drinking many times and could do it for a time but discovered that booze always came back with a vengeance and I eventually wound me up in a detox hospital. Abstinence seems to be the only safe method for alcoholics. Now that I finally understand that I do not have to battle with booze anymore.

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
I do attend AA and it helps me, but there are many paths to sobrieety. What i have found seems to be common to all with this disease is the need to be a part of a WE...It seems that this is a disease that responds better if we share our recovery with others that have this disease.
Ananda is very correct on the importance of becoming part of a "we" to fight this disease. I also wound up attending and becoming a part of AA and after being sober for over year discovered SR and find it to be a very good recovery tool. I stay very active in my recovery and connected to to sober people. I had tried too many times to do this by myself and lost.