Thread: New Poster Here
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ruletheworld

New Poster Here

Hello all. I've been lurking here for a while now; been meaning to post, just haven't gotten around to it until now. I just want to say that, being a non-AA person it's refreshing to find a place with like-minded individuals that I can check in with from time to time.

About a week ago I achieved 6 months of sobriety and I feel really positive about it. I've accepted the fact that I cannot drink again and look forward to an alcohol-free life. Each morning I wake up and thank God (I'm not really a religious person) for my sobriety. It is so nice to wake up with a clear head. I do realize though, that it wouldn't take much for me to lose my way, and pick up right where I left off.

I would be going on almost 2 years of sobriety, but I had a relapse about 14 months ago. At that time I was going 8 months strong when I convinced myself that It'd be alright if I had a beer every once in while. I set rules for myself. I could have 2 beers only (absolutely no hard stuff), and only in social settings. Then I modified those rules to stopping to get a 6-pack every so often and bringing it home. Shortly thereafter I was back to buying a liter of vodka every two days or so. It was not uncommon for me to wake up on a Saturday or Sunday morning and immediately start to drink. On weekdays I would have the bottle with me in the car and as soon as I was done with work I would mix one up for the ride home.

There was no particular incident that got me to stop drinking again. I just became severely disgusted with myself and stopped. I've never gone to an AA meeting, but have been considering it lately. I know that my drinking was just a symptom of deeper seeded problems that I may have. Maybe AA would help me to hash those problems out? I don't know. For now I've decided to frequent these forums. So far you guys have been a big help.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks for reading this. I will check in from time to time.

Jason