Thread: The first 100
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FightingIrish
problem with authority

There is a guy around here who has been sober for like 800 years. He's Mr. A.A. He sponsors guys, leads meetings, cleans up after the meeting, puts his hand out for newcomers, takes meetings into halfway houses and detoxes, volunteers for the district, drives people to meetings, the whole nine.

He is the kind of guy who will say to someone who already has a chair in their hand and who is about to put it away, "C'mon Mike, why don't you pitch in and help put away some of these chairs; that's what we do here in A.A." ANd then he does a little pantomine that says, "look, I'm helping put away the chairs."

He also shares at almost every meeting about how it USED to be. (Although he is only actually sober about 23 years, he talks like he knows how it was in 1937.) He double-dips his shares (I guess he can because he "knows so much"), usually closing the meeting with comments that "correct" whatever has already been said in the meeting that he finds objectionable.

To be fair, I think most of what he does is in the spirit of the best that is A.A., as far as I can tell what that is. But his manner of carrying the message and inspiring others really puts a lot of people off. I know someone here is going to talk about "our little alcoholic feelings", and that's fine. That is your way of doing things.

I just know that for me, and for a lot of people I talk to who are super-involved in A.A., his message gets super lost because people start tuning him out.