View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sfgirl

I posted this on a thread recently that turned out to be from years ago and had got dug up and then got closed. But it is on the same subject so I will post it here:

The "alcohol level" doesn't bother me. In fact it says less than 0.5% which basically means trace because it is slightly fermented. I drink Kombucha drinks which also have the same thing on them (0.5% alcohol) because they are slightly fermented. I am no chemist but I am pretty sure that some foods I make at home and leave lying around and then go back to as left overs probably ferment slightly. Whatever, for me it is splitting hairs. I have never felt a buzz from NA beers and when I was dry for four months a couple years ago I downed them like no tomorrow.

That being said I actually do not recommend it and this is why. When I drank them I was a dry drunk. I was going out, partying, all my thought patterns were the same, carrying on with my life exactly as it had been, but sober. It was this sort of crutch that now I know I didn't need. What it prevented me from doing, and I think this is extremely important for true recovery, was mourning alcohol. You have to really get it through your head and heart that alcohol is a thing of the past. And how can you do that if you are replacing it with a poor substitute? You can't. Now almost 8 months in to what feels like true recovery I would never want a NA beer. It is not against my principals. It just seems gross.

But I also respect everyone is different. If you are weighing the two choices though as to which is better for recovery I hope you choose to abstain. I think it will serve you better.