View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
flutter
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

My alcoholic girlfriend just got out of detox after being clean for a year. She asked me to bring her some vodka. After debating with myself I did it.
WHAT!!!!!!!???????? (my first response).
And then after I thought about it, I remembered how many times I not only did this, for my parents.. but when I decided to become a drunk, my husband did the same for me. Sure made it easy for me to drink when it was being supplied to me!!!

Sounds like you know by now how you are enabling her. Actually I think it goes well beyond enabling, you're a provider at this point. A better solution if you're worried about her getting on the road, instead of bringing her more liquor, go to her house and take her keys. Call the police if she gets on the road. Something along the lines of that, and not providing her with the fuel to her (and others?) demise. Who's to say she wouldn't have drank it and STILL gone out to get more?

I know I know.. easier said than done, but really.. how much softer can she land if you're loading the gun for her? (thanks for that, Freedom..)

Sorry just wanted to come back and add, that yes.. of course it is her choice when and if she gets sober, or if she stays drunk. It is also your choice to be ok with this, or decide you don't want to be with an alcoholic and cut losses and move on.. it's all about choices.