View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
TakingCharge999
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi izero, welcome to SR. I know others will come soon to greet you. I am glad you found us!

I also bought Jack Daniels to my ex alcoholic boyfriend. I did not know he was an alcoholic.

I no longer chose to support the addiction of a loved one. For many of us, loving a person means having to stay as away as possible from them.

Knowing my role in the relationship: buying his alcohol, driving his car when he was drunk, being there listening to his emotional abuse made me an allie, now I realize I was not helping him at all. I just made it easier for him to keep drinking.

Remember

You did not cause her problem
You cannot control her way of drinking
You cannot cure it

And the last C:

You should not cooperate!

She will keep on drinking - or not. What are YOU going to do? Imagine she will drink the rest of her life (I hope not, but it is a very real possibility as this disease is chronic and progressive). Is this what you want out of a partner?

You cannot make her do anything, she has to want to stop drinking more than anything else in her life, and it seems she is not ready yet. Your happiness cannot depend on the acts of another person.

((hugs)) I know wiser people will come here, usually weekends are slower but please hang in there and know you are not alone.