View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
sfgirl

Before I got sober I kept trying to change things in my life to fix it. These were external changes. I had an internal monologue that kept going like if I get the right boyfriend then I will be happy or if I get the right career I will be perfect. The thing about recovery is that it is about shifting the focus from the external to the internal. Major changes happen and most of those are internal ones. So I think that that suggestion is really just a way to try to avoid falling back into old patterns of trying to fix your life using external means and thereby forgoing the real, true recovery work of healing yourself. I am still in my first year. I can barely flirt with a man right now. I feel about 14 so I can't imagine getting into a real relationship. But with that and with other things I think it is a case by case basis and as long as you aren't compromising your recovery, I think you should do whatever you want. Sometimes change is needed to get out of drama and into a more simple life that is more conducive to self-reflection. Just don't think that a big change is going to solve all your problems.