View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
flutter
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time.. and honestly when I started reading this.. even though I KNEW you were going to say that it was a big party time, I was thinking "he's not going to say this was a big drinking time for him is he?". can you also now see the other side, being a sober dude.. how exactly does alcohol even barely fit into this:

Every year I take my four kids to West Virginia for some whitewater canoe camping. Usually my brother and his son, and different friends and kids. It has always been a big party weekend. Huge amount of work, packing for canoes, camps, four kids... the only thing I don't have to worry about is the alcohol and pills.
Take those parts out and it sounds like a very normal fun time..

It's always very interesting to me to read all the different things that people associate with drinking.. like.."I can't go fishing anymore, I can't drink" huh? What do the two have to do with each other, or "I can't go swimming without drinking".. what!? "how am I ever going to mow the lawn again?".. etc lol.. where something like I would say, thinking that I couldn't grill outside without drinking would make someone else scratch their head and go 'huh'? It's just very interesting to me what drinking will become so entertwined with, even something like your fun weekend that for most of society would be just a time of fun, and nothing to do with party..

Oh you'll be great, you'll have a blast.. and you will remember it all!!!!

Thank you for sharing, and letting me mini-hijack for a moment