View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 03:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mark75

Cool Memorial Day and West Virginia

Every year I take my four kids to West Virginia for some whitewater canoe camping. Usually my brother and his son, and different friends and kids. It has always been a big party weekend. Huge amount of work, packing for canoes, camps, four kids... the only thing I don't have to worry about is the alcohol and pills.

We have a base camp, river camp, car shuttles, fishing and playing music.

I have always used a lot of stimulants to get me organized and energetic. Packing by itself takes a whole day. I have to say, that while I notice the difference, I am not sure there is one.... My wife says I am a lot calmer... It looks like I'll have it all done when I'm supposed to depart. So... did I really need them? NO!

There is always alot of beer... I always hid some vodka and wine... Ya' know, I think it's gonna be alright... I was always the heaviest drinker, the others who drink, it's just beer. My brother, as I am fond of saying, is 24 years sober in AA. I think he is bringing one of his sponsees. We may even break away for awhile have an ad-hoc AA meeting!

I guess I'm posting because while I have 8 months, and I don't consider this a test... However, I am curious about how it will go, How I will see things.... I do a lot of outdoor stuff and alcohol has always been a big part... and then the pills to keep me going and put me to sleep at nite... This year it's gonna be more real, I'll truly be a part of it all... no sneaking... Plus I want to feel it, really feel it.

For the newcomers... If you can't imagine doing all the cool summertime stuff without the alcohol... I can, finally.... And it took less than a year... so as Memorial Day weekend is upon us... Don't feel that you are missing anything.... In fact, for the newly sober, like myself... this holiday weekend may be the first in a long while that I am NOT missing anything.

Thanx for letting me share.... Photos when I get back, If I can figure out that photobucket thing....

Mark