View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
gerryP

I came to this thread late 9iron and for what it might or might not have been worth as far as my opinion.

I was in a 28 day treatment almost 4 years ago, don't have any children but many of the women I was in treatment with did. On family day some would come to visit their mother's, others didn't because their children who were very young thought they were somewhere other than treatment. We could use the phone 4 times a day. We didn't have any sessions such as the one you described except one at the end of the 28 days, where a Dr and social worker came to the facility to talk about aftercare programs for families, but it was only to the residents.

I went to AA for 2 and a few years and often saw children there. Sometimes they were there because getting a babysitter was not an option (money) and for others they wanted to bring their children.

Just my opinion...but I don't think AA or treatment facilities are any place for children. For what reason? There is lots of time for children to see life, why bring it to them sooner.

That said, I do believe that children know more than adults drinking may think, but I wouldn't finish the job with horror stories told by Dr's and people in recovery. And it was a rare night that I did not hear a horror story.