View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
9Iron

All right, now I'm pissed. The wife, prior to us going to family night, really asked whether it was age appropriate and all of that and was assured that it was. No problem, anyone aged 5 and up is welcome and it's totally appropriate, and you really need to bring them because it's important to you're recovery she was told. The doctor gave the talk to a room full of adults, one or two teenagers, and my kids. I immediately knew how it was going to go when he started, this was no program for kids. They were introduced to such exotic terms as LSD, marijuana, drunkard, "fell on his ass", "pissed off", "damn right" as the story developed. The story was the typical alcoholic story of a man, wife, kids, dog, the dad is a drunk, beats his wife, and the family splits when mom leaves dad. Great bedtime story for children that are already freaked out by the sudden change in routine. It would have been a fine meeting, and a cautionary tale for the teenagers as to what can happen if you have the gene, but completely inappropriate for my kids ages. You want to trust professionals, they've ran these programs for years and I haven't, but damn it I know my kids and just had a gut feeling this wasn't the right thing to do. The wife had to stay for extra sessions (remember it is outpatient so she comes home), and my daughter was just beside herself when we left without her, absolutely sobbing. She was freaked out that Mom wasn't coming home, I wonder where she could have gotten that idea from.

Not doing that again, should have listened to myself earlier and put my foot down.