View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
9Iron

Horselover-

Thanks for the reply. My wife is in a 4 week program and it is readily apparent that she is an alcoholic to her and others that are close to her. There is no disputing that. Because she is in the program, I need to stop drinking as well, and quite frankly I am using that period to determine if I have a problem too. In essence, steps 1 and 2 in the big book essentially states that one has to admit that they have become powerless over an addiction and only a higher power than themselves can restore sanity. If I drink, that's it, I have a problem and need to turn it over to someone else. If I don't, well then I am not powerless over it and can restore sanity without the help of a higher power.

I'm not going to lie, it hasn't been as easy as "oh, well, never drink again, no big deal." I was a heavy drinker. But what I have found over the past few days is that I can do it, I haven't even really had a desire or compulsion to drink, and have had all of the opportunity in the world to pop in to a bar and have a pint or two and nobody would be the wiser. Quite frankly, I have too much riding on it to even consider that, including my marriage and children's future. I'm having some trouble sleeping because it's been such a habit to have a few to take the edge off, and that would be the easy way to deal with it, but again that's not an option for me.

To address my line about how to "explain the effects of her drinking has had" I should have been more clear. It's one of her homework assignments. I have to attend one of her sessions and point out all of the negative effects her drinking has had on the family. In an open forum of about 50 people looking on! I don't want to do it! I wouldn't do it, except its part of the program and the people that know treatment a hell of a lot better than I do say its a necessary part of the program. I don't know if it's to make her feel remorse about her past or not, but kind of seems that way. That in a round about way should kind of address your first paragraph in your reply, and why I am apprehensive to have my kids along this evening because I don't really know if it's age appropriate.