View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

Good job on maintaining your sobriety during your vacation! For me, I have found that it does get easier. I am coming up on 4 years in July and I have to honestly say that I haven't had any real cravings in a very long time. I can't even really remember the last time I did. The drinking and drugging was a lifetime ago. I live in an apt building with 12 units and most of the other tennants drink and with summer coming up, I know what's in store. Every Friday night it begins, the same few people start by firing up a grill behind our building and of course, the cooler full of beer and wine coolers is right there. In time, more people come home or others in the neighborhood find their way over to the madness. I was waiting in the car one time when my Son ran back into the apt to get something I had forgotten and just laughed when I watched everything being carried out. The cooler was the first thing that was brought out. The proud owner of the cooler lives in the first apartment when walking in the back door and has maybe 100' to walk from his lawnchair to his refrigerator . . . I guess that's just too much work. Sometimes these particular neighbors will invite me to come out and sit with them saying that just because I don't drink doesn't mean I can't join in on the "fun." It's not even close to my idea of fun anymore, watching people slobber all over themselves, get loud and obnoxious, falling over each other and of course, every single night ends up when someone gets mad at someone else and a loud, screaming match begins that has ended up in physical fights more times than I care to remember. Doesn't sound like fun to me anymore!

Life has taken on a new meaning for this alcoholic and addict. I don't need alcohol to have a good time.

Judy