Old 05-16-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

My situation was a lot like yours. Fortunately, my AH did not contest the settlement.

But, just like you, I fretted and stewed and made myself crazy worrying over what might happen. Some wise people here told me that things are just things, money is just money, and none of it really matters compared to living in peace and sanity. Those responses p1ssed me off. I see now that it's true.

It's out of your control. You've done what you can and now it's in the judge's hands. Try to accept that and do the best you can with whatever decision comes out of it. Even in the worst case scenario, alimony is only granted for a limited amount of time. It will end and you will still have your life to do with as you please.

Sometimes the lessons we learn are harsh ones. If I hadn't spent 20 years of my life supporting an alcoholic I would no doubt be better off financially now than I am. My friend Minnie once called the financial implications of staying with an alcoholic a "stupidity tax." I know I will not be putting my well-being in the hands of an unreliable, irresponsible, selfish partner again.

L

P.S. If he's so down and out, how can he afford an attorney?