Thread: Am I selfish?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Lilyflower
Recovering Codependant

Lucy, I think it is great that you have some 'me time' planned. I truely believe this is vital to everyone and I agree with the poster who said that this is a good model for the boys to mirror from you.

My mum never took 'me time' and I grew up thinking it was selfish too and that if I ever did take time off I had to spend it with my daughter or another family member. Nowadays, I book a day off work occasionally just to have a relaxing day of getting dressed late, take myself shopping, watching my favourite films, having long baths, play music etc etc.

I think generally speaking; when we have children our life becomes so consumed with them and their needs (which it needs to be at first when they are too young to do for themselves) that we put ourselves on a back burner for years on end (more so I think if you are a single parent).

When they get to growing up and time begins to free up, it feels almost alien to do for yourself anymore, however I think this is important to get back some time to ourselves as if we did not and then they move out into the world, would we be left with the 'empty nest' syndrome?

I am at the place where my daughter is just beginning to spend time out of the house with friends and it is as much a learning curve for me as it is for her. At first I found myself feeling uncomfortable with the silence in the house and worrying about her, that is still there to an extent, but i am much better now at filling up my time and actually enjoying the space!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx