View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mark75

Originally Posted by rubbersoul View Post

and when I remember that I can't have alcohol ever again I get this horrid sinking, almost nauseating, feeling in my stomach and I feel like life is pointless.
AH yes!! I remember that feeling well.... that physical response to grief, losing your mistress alcohol and thinking that nothing will ever be fun again. I definitely still experienced those lovely knots in my stomach at 44 days.

I am at 7.5 months... It is better, I can separate myself emotionally from that sense of loss. I don't get the sinking feeling any more... Do those commercials with the cold frosty mugs of beer get to me... Hell Yes. Does it ruin my day, Nope...

I was talking to a member of my AA home group about this grief thing. He said he had a resentment that he couldn't drink anymore early in sobriety... I asked him how he handled it, he said he got angry, very angry...

I remember a couple of things when I get that grief thing going... I can still do ANYTHING I want to do, except drink. and more importantly... I don't drink, just for today. Tomorrow is another day... Then tomorrow is today, I'll worry about it then.

Do you have a program of recovery, AA or some other group? People whom you can be around that are happy, joyous and free.... and sober? It helps me alot.

Thanx for your post!

Mark