View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bernadette

I started going @ 15 years ago. In the beginning I went to meetings constantly. I lived in NYC and had so many options - although I settled on 2 favorite groups - one was a lunch time meeting that happened 5 days a week (and I did go 5 days sometimes!) and the other was an evening meeting once a week. I eventually kept going once a week for years. With small children I stopped going - but when my marriage fell apart I found a way to go regularly again....and nowadays I go sporadically - I try not to go just when I'm in a crisis - I try to go when it is just a regular day in the life -- this keeps me on track and reminds me why it is such a good program for living life!

The A's in my family are all blood relatives - my brothers and my late father, my grandmother was also an alkie and a couple of uncles (father's bros). I thought I was very clever making sure I didn't marry an alcoholic!

Ha!

It was terrifying when I realized I had recreated EXACTLY the dynamic of my parent's marriage. Back to AlAnon and therapy and I really feel like I have come such a long way in my understanding of codependency, and understanding what growing up in an alcoholic family did to me! I have so much gratitude for all the anonymous folks at meetings who have taught me so much about how to become the human being I'd like to be!!

peace,
b