View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sweets79
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by spiritedgrl123 View Post
I went to my first AlAnon meeting when I was married to abusive/Active/dry drunk EXAH-I never went back, why I'm not sure but I think because I wanted a quick fix for EXAH that I didn't get.

My second meeting,about a year later, was after he and I split up-I never went back-I figured no A=No problem-I didn't need to be there.

My third meeting, almost 11yrs later I think, was after a bad break up with EXABF(though I did start working the program online almost 3 months before we split up)
I'm still going, though he is not in the picture anymore. I'm pretty damamaged right now, I know that, but will I need to be in the program for the rest of my life? Sometimes I think "without a doubt", other times I wonder....

My question is......

How many of you are still in AlAnon, even though the A that you were with (the one who likely "sent" you here, for lack of a better word), is no longer a part of your life? And how long have you been in the program?

How many are still with the A?

Thanks for sharing your stories, your recovery and your ESH.
Your friend in recovery
spirit
:ghug
I went to some AlAnon meetings 2 summers ago...My father is an alcoholic...I initially liked the meetings, but I came to find some, um for lack of better words, "creepy" dudes, who would try to get numbers, and not for the reasons they should....I think a few guys were just looking for some vulnerable women...not all though, some were genuinely there because they needed and wanted to be...I got some good things out of the meetings, but they weren't for me...Also, it's kind of funny, but when you give some people control, even over the smallest things, it goes to their head...Sometimes the meeting leaders had that attitude, I actually found it kind of amusing lol.