View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Missybuns

My sponsor and mentors in recovery have helped me learn that when we use the language of the text others can identify. I don't mean we quote the text all over the place, I mean when we use certain words and talk about specific principles written about in the book the others can get some examples of our experiences which directly relate to what is in the book.

For example, next meeting we may hear someone rationalize some outrageous sort of nonsense that really messed up their lives.....when I hear someone caught up in this and they project some way-out (bs) stuff to justify it.....well I can share what our basic text says. I don't tell them what page it is on but I do say something like "there's a place in our Basic Text where it says.....we had rationalized the most outrageous sort of nonsense to justify the mess that we made of our lives" We sometimes continue to do that after we stop using. As we pay attention and take action to learn and grow we do recover.

Using the language of the text takes personalities out of it and opens up for the spiritual principle to become apparent. When there is no specific personality attached, it seems to be easier to accept.

I have learned this fosters unity.

peace,
Missy