View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 05:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Daisy09
Optimist

Originally Posted by lyssabee View Post

If you think you are being supportive, that he is on a real road to recovery and that things are looking up, then what does it matter what strangers on the internet think? I'm curious to know what your real question is, because I don't think it was the yes-or-no question you posed at the end. If you're asking if people do recover, and if marriages can withstand addiction with recovery, then yes, it is possible, but it isn't easy.

Thank you to everyone for your kind messages and words of support, and especially this post, which made me think about why did I come on-line? You know, when you have no experience with something like this, you have this image in your head of "a junkie" - the kind you see in movies and such: dirty, toothless, living in cardboard boxes talking to themselves. And then I find out that my own husband, who I have loved for 16 years, is addicted to heroin. We also have two sweet, loving, beautiful little girls who love (and are loved by) their Daddy very much. I cannot imagine what it would be like for them to live without their Daddy.

So I guess I came here hoping to find out two things:

1. that there are other perfectly "normal" people who have problems like this in their lives.

2. that it is not going to destroy my husband's shot at recovery for me to be supportive and loving instead of cutting myself off from him to avoid being hurt.

I have found out that these things both seem to be true, and I really want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for sharing their stories of pain and love with me. My husband told me about his addiction on the day he started Suboxon, so it was entirely his own decision to quit. I'm feeling hopeful at the moment, and want to thank you for helping me, a complete stranger, to deal with our situation.

Wishing you all happiness,
Daisy