View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Missybuns

I missed this topic...I'm an NA member that has been to several AA meetings before I found a home. I was open minded enough to expose myself to both fellowships until I knew where I could best be helped.

I have all due respect for AA and cooperate fully with that fellowships traditions. Likewise with NA traditions.

Since I have been an NA member I have learned from various NA members with many years in recovery it is very important to carry a clear NA message at an NA speaker meeting/event. Our traditions do help us maintain the groups.

I have been taught a speaker should be a member of the fellowship for which they are speaker along with attending that fellowships meetings on a regular basis and have worked the steps with a sponsor from the same fellowship. These are all the best weapons against relapse and it's in the fellowships best interest to share by example.

AA is great...get an AA speaker.

NA is great...get an NA speaker.

Im not saying an AA member cannot deliver a spiritual message of recovery in a an NA setting but why confuse the comer?

We certainly have no place endorsing AA or it's literature in NA meetings.

NA stands on its own.

It may be a small area but it may get smaller if they switch to AA!

Even if an AA member can successfully carry an NA message verbally, only how is it a clear NA message when they leave they go back to AA?

Could send a do as I say and not as I do message.....lead by example is what I say.

Peace,
Missy