Old 05-01-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sweets79
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
Technically, you should be mostly detoxed from the acute issues.. there's a lot of other detox or post-acute withdrawal that has less to do with physical craving, and more to do with longer term withdrawal from the toxicity of alcohol use.

I don't use AA, so I can't speak to that part of your question. I also didn't use any medication to get sober, or to stay sober. I was fearful of turning to yet another 'substance' in my life, and sought other assistance through individual counseling.

I think if you tell your doctor what/how much/how often/for how long you drank, and are very very honest, you should get a very honest medical answer back. You might get back that physically, your withdrawal is past the most acute stage and that OTHER ongoing supports to KEEP you sober should be sought out. If you wanna take the med route, though, most psychiatrists seem rather willing to write scripts for this or that.. you probably should think about that a bit...do you want to depend on something else? You've done well so far, and been thru the roughest part.. I bet you can do this with the right supports in place, without any drugs.. but of course that's your choice.

Good luck with what you do!
Thanks for your input flutter...I would rather not be on meds, but it's getting really hard to cope with the way I am feeling now...Something to take the edge off is what I might need...I wouldn't want to be on anything for a long time, just something for now to make it through the early stages...I will ask the D.R. what she thinks...I'm not a big fan of meds, but sometimes if you need them, you need them.