Thread: Hi i'm new
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sweets79
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
JJB do not let the negative you have heard about AA sway you, hundreds of thousands of sober alcoholics owe thier life to it, but I will be the first one to say that AA is not for every one. WHy not give 3 or 4 meetings a try and decide for your self?

Every AA meeting is different, kind of like churches, you may go to one church and find it totally unacceptable to you and then go to another and find it mediacre and a third one and think it is awesome, yet stratch your head wondering why are they different? The people are what is different even if the faith is the same.

If you go to some AA meetings and do not like them there are other good recovery programs out there, try them as well.

Physical addiction in regards to the headaches and the like, simple withdrawals. Now the irratability, the obsession with a drink, that is in the head once the physical withdrawals are totally gone.

I will speak strictly for me, but I drank for enough years to where I had forgotten how to live life sober. Alcohol was my solution to all my problems for many years, it was my entertainment, my joy, it actually became my life. I carried around a lot of guilt, shame and resentments that I simply did not know how to deal with any other way then drinking.

It is kind of weird, I have had to relearn almost everything my parents tried to teach me about how to live life. The steps of AA and the fellowship of AA have led me to having the ability to deal with life on lifes terms sober, free of guilt, shame, resentments, and of the obsession for alcohol.

Other drinks???? Well whgen I first stopped I experimented, I drink coffee, iced tea, some sodas, every one is different, but trust me there are far more non-alcoholic beverages then there are alcoholic ones.

You ever wonder why there are so many alcoholic drinks that bend over backwards trying to taste like non-alcoholic drinks? Could it be that non-alcoholic drinks actually taste better? LOL
Haha that's a great point...I was so used to drinking whiskey and vodka straight that when I would go out and order a mixed drink, like a Mojito, I'd ask everyone of they tried to gyp me on the liquor because I couldn't taste it, lol.