Thread: Hi i'm new
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JJB

Thanks for such a welcome and some questions

Thanks for all these great messages of welcome and support. That elephant dancing really made me laugh!
I've heard so much about AA -good and bad , but one of the reasons i thought this forum seemed such a good idea was first of all the anonymity and also the fact that everytime i feel tempted to drink i thought i could switch on my computer.
My questions may seem rather daft but having seen your encouragements i'm going to ask anyway:
Why does giving up drinking give me much the same symptoms as a hangover:headaches, irritability and how long will this last for? Even when i stopped drinking for three months i still kept thinking about it all the time.
Also i worry that becoming so centred on my drinking/notdrinking could become like an addiction/obsession itself. For example if you want to lose weight and keep thinking about it then you keep thinking about food which makes it all the more difficult not to eat. It seems almost like self flagellation
Also what do you suggest drinking instead? Do you think diet coke is a good idea ? i'm afraid just water won't work. I really do like having a drink in my hand and fruit juice is only nice in certain quantities-if only my body could be so reasonable about wine!
Thanks again to everyone who replied to my post