Old 04-29-2009, 07:25 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
FightingIrish
problem with authority

I can identify. A week before I "decided" to go to rehab, I was not planning anything of the sort, and definitely not planning on A.A.

I also wasn't planning to end up in jail with a 0.3-something BAC and thus miss an important work meeting that Monday.

When I was sitting in front of my boss after being asked the question, "do you actually *want* to work here?", I decided for the first time not to lie. I said, "I need to stop drinking." From there it was mandatory treatment.

I don't know if this makes my bottom high, or low, or what. I do know it's very likely I would have continued to drink daily, wake up hungover, shake and sweat my way through the work day, and repeat the process for as long as there were no consequences.

I also poured my heart and soul into treatment. I had had a pretty great life in many ways before I became a drunk recluse and gave up everything that had made it great. So it was pretty easy for me to just let go and stop fighting. (Not that I stopped arguing...LOL.)

I have occasional step one issues because I don't make it the ontological riddle that some people seem to or have the attitude that seems prevalent among the "real alcoholic" crowd. I just answered a couple of questions honestly and moved on to step two.

M

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
8K $$ was my tab too... had no choice if I wanted to save my career... so, I made it worth as much as I could and poured my heart and soul into it, better than sitting in my resentment during those long 2 months...

Also, made my bottom higher than it might have been.

I agree... AA is the best, always has been. I needed the intervention though, wasn't ready to go on my own... Makes for occasional first step issues, but I am an alcoholic and AA and the 12 steps are keeping me sober.

Mark