Old 04-29-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dime

After being a sober alcoholic for 7 months I was in a nasty motorcycle accident and given synthetic morphine injections on the way to the hospital that were supposedly 10 times more potent than morphine. It took three before I noticed any reduction in pain and the EMT's seemed surprised that the first injection had no effect at all. I had a drip of the stuff in the hospital for a few days and remember nothing of a euphoric feeling ever. After getting out of the hospital I had hydrocodone for pain that really only took the extreme edge off of the pain long enough so I could sleep 1-2 hours taking the max dose allowed. I think it was 10 mg. I never really expected it to totally relieve the pain and but it did take the extreme edge off of it. Knowing how dangerous the stuff was I generally only took the max allowable dosage at night so I could sleep a little.

I have met so many people addicted to hydrocodone since I got sober I gave it proper respect for the addictive danger involved. But I do remember having hydrocodone for pain while I was still drinking and never had a problem with it.

Most of the formulations of Vicodin have heavy duty dosages of acetometaphen that are very tough on the livers of alcoholics. The acetometaphen always scared the heck out of me because I was a drinker. You can ask your Doctor to give you a formulation without the acetometaphen, or with a reduced amount.

Good Luck Sharon