Old 04-29-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sweets79
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
I think it’s a good start to recognize your main triggers and do what you can to avoid them.

When I first quit drinking I was a bit of a recluse. I spent many evenings at home on SR and keeping myself busy (my mind occupied). I also didn’t return calls from drinking buddies. Avoiding people, places, and things that would plant that seed – “hey, maybe this time will be different.”

The Serenity Prayer and the mantra “don’t take that first drink” helped as well.

At the time, I don’t think that I had any other options. I did not have the mental strength or the tools to deal with “in your face” triggers.

Obviously, I couldn’t go on like this indefinitely. Sooner or later, the alcoholic obsession would be triggered.

I went through the 12 steps and developed a support network at a somewhat frantic face. Fear-based; I felt vulnerable. Gradually, my strength & confidence increased. Today, I feel good about my continued sobriety providing I keep up with my recovery program.

For me, there are also some common-sense practices I still maintain. I don’t go to bars and I don’t hang out with people who are getting hammered. I can do pretty much anything else and my sobriety is not threatened.

Best wishes.
That's what I'm trying to do but I feel like I'm going nuts...What did you do to keep busy? I try but my mind wanders.