View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
You can have your sobriety. Hell, after tonight, I could barely see the keys to type the word. Take it. wave it around like a fu*king flag, show it to all your friends, act like you know what the hell you are doing, say, " Well I followed the twelve steps and my life is just so great today, puke, puke puke.
Well, I followed the twelve steps, and continue to follow them, and my life is great today.

Firestorm, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. This happens a lot because AA if filled with a bunch of alcoholics. And, there may be two things to consider:

1) These people are full of sh*t. Could be. A lot of ego maniac, selfish, think that time without a drink means something, people floating around AA. A red flag goes up for me whenever I hear one alcoholic tell another what to do. The Big Book warns against this very thing.

2) Could be that they are right but going about it wrong. I didn't like my first sponsor much. He was one of those know it alls, talked about a spiritual experience and carried a book. I really didn't care for him. But I knew that he had an answer, and I wanted that solution badly because I couldn't go on another day.

Find one of those guys. Not someone who quotes simple slogans and tells you what to do, but one that is willing to sit down with you and a book and find out if you are an alcoholic. They won't want to talk much about anything else. They want to get Step one down because it's the only solution they know. They are also the ones who won't be the least bit offended if you tell them to p*ss off.

There is a look in the eyes of some newcomers that I've learned to see. It's the look of desperation. Not everyone has it. But some people walk in the doors, and despite them telling you that they are fine or good, I can sort of see that they are dying. When I see that, I'm obligated to introduce myself and get to know them. I'll ask if they have any interest in finding out if they are an alcoholic. If so, we sit down with the book. If not, we continue our pleasantries and I try to be a friend on their terms.