Old 04-26-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Freepath View Post

I have had to deal with multiple people at my job who are addicted. When you are not high or drunk, and you are talking to someone who is, it’s like talking in circles.
“You shouldn’t drink that right now, we have XYZ to do…”
“Well if I only have one, then it shouldn’t be a problem.’
“Yeah, I know, but you’ve already had one, and now you want another.”
“Sure but since I’m only going to have one more, it won’t really make a difference.”
No matter how much evidence can demonstrate problems in the life of a chemically dependent person, they will always find a way to deny a problem and continue to center their lives around their drug of choice.

This doesn’t just apply to chemically dependent people. This could apply to anyone who is in denial for any reason.
“We’re just friends.’
“Yeah but you spent the night at his house.”
“Well, we didn’t do anything. See? Proof that we’re just friends.”
I don't see how the two scenarios above have anything to do with each other? I completely agree with the first scenario, but the second is sketchy.

Are you saying that spending the night at someone's house means you are automatically involved with them as more than friends and are in denial if you say you are only friends? I have spent the night at the homes of single male friends on a number of occasions. And guess what? I have never been more than friends with most of them, and never will be. It was late, it was a long drive home or I was drunk, and I slept on the couch. Alone. That does not mean I'm in denial about wanting to be involved with them because mostly I don't like them as more than friends and the ones I like as more than friends I am crystal clear about (even if I would never tell them). So... how does that tie in to being in denial about drinking?