View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Exercise

Regular, appropriate exercise is important for heart and lung health, weight control, and combating fatigue. Patients tell me that a regular and reasonable (not excessive) amount of exercise helps with depression and anxiety.

Should I have an exercise plan?
I suggest exercising three times a week for twenty to forty-five minutes each day. If this is too much for you, then start gradually.

Can too much exercise make bipolar worse?
Too much exercise---for example, aggressive workouts lasting five hours daily, seven days a week----can help trigger a bipolar episode and/or maintain a state of mania. Excessive exercise can also cause changes in hormonal secretion, cartilage loss, musculoskeletal changes, and orthopedic problems. It is sometimes hard to tell if people are driving themselves into mania by overexercising or if they start exercising excessively when they begin to get manic. I recommend sticking to a moderate exercise program in order to guard against triggering an episode, and to beware of times when you feel the need to work out excessively, as it could be an indication that you are entering a manic phase.

Can I stop taking my medications if my exercise is making me feel better?
Exercise helps many people feel invigorated and more emotionally balanced, but exercise alone is not enough to control bipolar disorder. It is important that you continue to take your medications in addition to adopting a healthy exercise program.

What do you think about sports drinks or power drinks for bipolar?
Most of the ones I have examined look like sugar water. For the most part, I think drinking plain, clean water is the best choice. If you are in danger of being dehydrated, drink fluid and try taking salt pills or drink salted tomato juice. This will help increase the volume of fluid in your body.

Doesn't exercise cure depression? I've read that it does in several national magazines.
Exercise is good for you, but it will not "cure" bipolar depression.