View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
McGowdog

I think... what I'm finding... is there might be a sliding scale. Or at least a few levels... of what people need to do in order to stay sober (in my case) and drug free (addicts case).

Some need to "work a program" and some don't. Some "work a program" or do a set of steps, and they're pretty good and can maintain that and maybe not have to go to meetings or go once in a while, but go to kind of check in or that's where they choose to do service work and stuff.

I think I am a mad dog. I need to do this and need to stay in the middle of it and I don't want to test the waters of trying to let up on this "spiritual program of action" or this "daily reprieve" or this "fit spiritual condition" because my previous patterns of this thing we call "mental obsession" hits me right in the back of the head like a 2 x 4. I'll be going along on a nice sunny flowery day, "la dee da da", then the thought will cross my mind... "Boy, a couple of bourbon and coke sure sound good." or "Why am I sitting in this dark dungy bar in the middle of a sunny weekday drinking booze?"

My mental obsession is a freaky thing because I drink just like that very nonchalantly and with absolutely no fear. It's as if I totally forget that I'm an alcoholic, a blackout drinker, a push you away from the table and drink your drink and kiss your wife kinda guy and I do this... I drink this first drink... when I'm stone-cold sober! What the heck is this?

Oh, but for me. That's just me. What was it like when you first took a drink after being sober for a while? What were you thinking? Did you think you were just gonna have one and stop? Were you gonna tell the waitress to just fill your beer glass half way up? Did you drink a half a beer? Could you let the waitress or waiter come by and take your half drinken glass of wine and ask for another? "Oh, freshen that up for me please. I think there's an eyelash in my glass."

Originally Posted by tomvlll View Post
One thing that separates alcohol from alot of drugs and nicotine.

Alcohol is not an addictive substance.

I know this does really answer the question beacuse addiction is a very complex matter as we all know.
Wow! I so agree with this. I know it's controversial and all. I'd like to talk to you more about this in a DM or a specific thread about this.