View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Jayne2

I've definitely thought the same things. I've come to believe that maybe that is just yet another lie I/my addicted voice tells myself to try to keep drinking. The truth of the matter is, I surrounded myself with people and situations that involved drinking. I basked in the holidays because everyone around me was drinking a lot and it was ok! Even at lunch! I think I sought out drinking situations. I certainly went out a lot more when I drank, and I am not a social person by nature.

Over time I have begun to see that not everyone drinks, and the people that have a problem with non-drinkers are usually people that have a problem with their own drinking, period. It shines a light on their drinking and its uncomfortable. That's my theory anyway. And since I am a people-pleaser, I didn't want others to be uncomfortable. But then I guess you have to ask yourself, do you want to risk your health and happiness just to make others feel comfortable?

I still struggle with this one. I can tell by your posts you know what the right answer is. It's just getting there and doing it, isn't it? That's the hard part.

Keep trying.

Janye